New - fast track review!
Dear Authors,
If you believe that your paper was mistakenly rejected by other leading journals and you do not agree with final decision, the editors of Reports of Practical Oncology and Radiotherapy offer new fast track review. You may submit your manuscript to Reports of Practical Oncology and Radiotherapy together with all prior peer-reviews obtained from the other journal and your rebuttal letter. We guarantee review based decision within 72 hours from the time we will receive your manuscript.

Fast track submission process: Please submit the manuscript with all reviews and rebuttal letter by email to Dr. Michal Masternak ( for fast review processing. To assure immediate attention the email title must to include: RPOR-fast track- Last Name First Name (of corresponding author).

Volume 24, Number 3, 2019

Adaptive radiotherapy in patients receiving neoadjuvant radiation for soft tissue sarcoma

Ramiz Abu-Hijlih, Sara Mheid, Fawzi Abuhijla, Wafa Asha, Abdelatif Almousa


Aim The aim of this study is to evaluate tumor volume changes during preoperative radiotherapy and to assess the role of adaptive radiation. Background Contemporary neoadjuvant radiotherapy utilizes image guidance for precise treatment delivery. Moreover, it may depict changes in tumor size and shape. Materials and methods Between 2016 and 2018, 23 patients aged ≥18 years with soft tissue sarcoma were treated with neoadjuvant radiation followed by surgical resection. The tumor volumes (cc) were measured using the Pinnacle planning system prior to starting radiotherapy and during treatment, the changes in volume and absolute differences were estimated. Moreover, patient's position on the machine was evaluated to assess setup offsets. The triggers for plan adaptation were >1 cm expansion or unacceptable setup offsets. Results The mean tumors volume at presentation was 810 cc (range, 55–4000). At last cone beam CT the tumor volume had changed in 14 patients (61%); it was stable in nine patients (39%). Disease regression was documented in eight patients (35%), with median shrinkage of −20.5% (range, −2 to −29%), while tumor progression was observed in six cases (26%), the median change was 12.5% (range, +10 to +25%). Adaptive radiation was required in four patients (17%). For the remaining 19 cases (83%), the dose distribution was adequate to cover target volumes. Conclusions Change in soft tissue sarcoma volume during radiation is not uncommon. Image guidance should be used to reduce setup errors and to detect differences in tumor volume. Image guidance and adaptive radiation are paramount to ensure optimal radiation delivery.

Signature: Rep Pract Oncol Radiother, 2019; 24(3) : 263-268

« back